Once part of the stable block of the Bell Hotel, a Coaching Inn probably dating back to the late 17th century. The Inn was demolished in the early 19th century
Bell Cottage is set in approximately 9 acres of gardens, woodland and lakes.
A lake was created about 1826 by damming the two streams draining from the south of the village. Both Fishpond Cottage (on the other side of the road) and Bell Cottage share part of the lake which extends on either side of the road bridge. It is believed that the pond was created by Sir George Howland Beaumont (7th Baronet). There is a tale that when Sir George and William Wordsworth were trying to decide what shape to make the pond, they spilled some wine on the table, which became the outline for the pond. It used to be well stocked with fish for Coleorton Hall. The Beaumonts also used it for the pleasure of boating and fishing. The foundations of the boat house are still visible to the west of the lake where quarry tiles lead into the pond.
See also Fishpond Bridge
View of Fishpond Bridge from Bell Cottage grounds