Rosine Cottage was initially a house on the farm, part of the Beaumont Estate. Part of the house became a butcher’s shop in the late nineteenth century. The Walker family originally rented the property, prior to buying it. Later, they sold it to the Cuthbert family.
It has also been a butcher's shop, a Quartermaster's store and a Home Guard Headquarters.
Esme Glenville lived there until her death in 2007. Here is a short history of her life there when she was young including recollections of the war years. Memories of Coleorton book includes Esme's memories of starting at Viscount Beaumont's School at the age of 4.
Esme Glenville's father was a Walker, but her grandfather was Harold Cuthbert, the head teacher of Viscount Beaumont Primary School, between 1900 and 1924.
During the Second World War her father, Bert Walker, was appointed First Lieutenant, Officer in Command of the Coleorton Platoon of the Home Guard. Drilling and marching to a drum beat took place in Walker's Yard and in the next field to Rosine, as the parade ground. Part of the house that was once the butcher's shop was converted into the Quarter Master's Store with uniforms, rifles and ammunition. Esme's mother helped to look after the stores: giving out the uniforms, stripes and other insignia when necessary.
Blackout was introduced. This meant that no lights were allowed to be visible at all. Windows needed to have shutters to prevent the light showing through the curtains. Esme's father made theirs, they were frames of plywood covered with a thick type of sugar paper. They had to be fitted to the windows (upstairs and down) every evening. If there was just a chink of light showing there would be a knock on the door by the Home Guard Warden PC Bobby Grant on his patrol round the village and a loud shout of "Put that light out!"As the war progressed sentry duty was introduced by the Home Guard. A hut was obtained and positioned on the corner of Farm Town Lane near the railway bridge. The hut, known as "The Home Guard Hut", was used by men on sentry duty. It had a primus stove fuelled by paraffin which gave out some warmth and was used for boiling a kettle. Each shift was four hours, two hours on and two hours off. Two sentries were posted on the bridge and two near the old barn on Farm Town Lane. Their brief was to stop all traffic, including pedestrians, with the words "Halt, who goes there, friend or foe?" The sentries were in uniform with a rifle over their shoulders, they were a formidable sight. Two amusing incidents occurred. One over-zealous sentry stopped a taxi turning on to The Moor from the A50 with "Halt! Who goes there? Friend or foe?" It took some time for him to be convinced that it was his cousin, returning from a night out in Coalville with his family. On another occasion two men were returning from work at New Lount Pit; they were stopped and asked the customary question, to which they replied: "You know who we are!" The sentries returned: "We don’t, for all we know you might be German spies!" Identity cards had to be produced … then all was well.