Resources for research into Coleorton history, heritage and families

Heritage Group articles

See various articles from Coleorton Heritage Group >> most of which have been published in St Mary's monthly magazine.

Coleorton history links

The Coleorton Parish website has a large history section. The main history page contains a number of links which you may find useful >>

The Parish website also has transcribed Census records for 1841-1901 here >> but not for areas that were previously in Thringstone (Peggs Green, parts of Rotten Row) and The Woolrooms is in Worthington Parish.

Also Cemetery and Burial records for Griffydam, St Johns and St Mary's.

Books

Samuel T Stewart
Trevor has written several books about Coleorton & surrounding areas. Most are available as free-of-charge downloads from his website >>

Beaumont - Crusaders and Campaigners by Lucy La Zouche
Traces the 4 distinct family lines of the Beaumonts from their French origins, which ineveitably intertwined, to todays families. She describes the family members, their activities, marriages and the titles bestowed upon them for service to the monarch.
Available from Amazon £12.49 plus postage as appropriate: Beaumont - Crusaders and Campaigners >>

Families

Our growing families section has information and stories about many local families. Families >>

We welcome additional information and contributons - email: heritagegroup@coleorton.org.uk or phone Terry Ward on 01530 835701.

Local History Groups

Griffydam History Group >>

Ashby Museum

Ashby Museum has a small permanent display about Coleorton. It also holds papers and artefacts relating to Coleorton which are available to view on request.

Chief amongst these is the extensive archives collected by John Crocker. John was employed by the National Coal Board and based at their Area 7 headquarters, at Coleorton Hall. John had a keen interest in a number of topics which revolved around both local history and natural history. During his time at Coleorton Hall, and in the period after his retirement on medical grounds, John and his wife Marcine researched a number of areas related to Coleorton and the surrounding area. His research is characterised by John’s attention to detail and there is invariably information included which others might consider to be ancillary. The main areas of interest over the long period before his death in 2006 were:-

  • The history of coal mining in the area
  • The history of Coleorton and the surrounding villages
  • The history of Coleorton Hall and the Coleorton Estate
  • The Beaumont family associated to the Coleorton Beaumonts
  • Sir George Beaumont the 7th Bart, his associates and his art

John collected a large number of both original documents and books as well as a vast number of copied original documents. He also gained access to a number of other archives and gathered information from these. His total historical work was donated to the museum and is extensive; requiring a computer search to locate where specific information has been catalogued.

If you wish to view John Crocker's archives contact Ken Hillier at Ashby Museum or Sandra Dillon or Terry Ward from the Heritage Group email: heritagegroup@coleorton.org.uk

Ashby Museum website >>

"Memories of Coleorton" Book

Memories of Coleorton book

Coleorton Heritage Group has published an updated edition of the book "Memories of Coleorton - Reminiscences of the Residents" first published in November 2015. Local residents relate their memories of childhood and growing up in Coleorton. The book is hardback with colour and black-and white photos.

Books are available to purchase for £15 - call Mike Cox on 01530 813743 or email heritagegroup@coleorton.org.uk.