The Beaumonts were a Norman family who came over from France with the Norman Conquest and were likely related distantly to the French kings. The Beaumonts came into ownership of Coleorton in 1424 via Thomas Beaumont's marriage in 1413 to Phillipa Maureward, the only heir of Sir Thomas Maureward who was an important landowner in Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Dorset. There was some affinity between the two families in their support of the Lancastrians during a period of dispute of sovereignty (culminating in the bloody Wars of the Roses).
From then on The Beaumont family were Lords of the Manor at Coleorton and established Coleorton Hall as their base in Leicestershire. They undertook various economic activities locally including mining which at times brought in substantial income. The Beaumonts were not always resident in Coleorton and leased out the Hall and mines for substantial periods.
The family was extensive and the Beaumonts also had a substantial residence in Dunmow, Essex, and elsewhere.
The Beaumonts were powerful landowners and had great influence on the lives of Coleorton people. Viscount Beaumont left money in his will to establish a school in 1702 and in 1867 Canon W. B. Beaumont built the current school in Ashby Road next to St John's Chapel - see Viscount Beaumont's School - and much of the mining and transport in the area was established by Beaumont family members. One of the most famous Beaumonts was Sir George Beaumont, the 7th baronet, who was an accomplished artist and befriended many poets and artists of the time including Wordsworth, Coleridge, Scott, Shelley and Southey. All of these spent some time at Coleorton Hall or the adjacent Hall Farm.
It's impossible to put all the Beaumont history on one page, but we'll be adding items over the next few months. Here are some links with information about various Beaumonts and activities: