Coleorton Calendar - September 2022

Fishpond Bridge

Fish Pond Bridge carries the old Ashby Road across the Fish Pond created in the early part of the 19th Century Sir George Howland Beaumont (7th Baronet) by damming a stream (Cartbrook ?).

The bridge was built in 1826 from local stone and may have replaced a smaller bridge or simple ford crossing at the original stream. The pond was intended both as a source of fish for the kitchens of Coleorton Hall and as a place of recreation for fishing and boating by the Beaumonts, with a boathouse on the shore closest to Bell Cottage. With the passage of time the original, single track, two arch bridge, became unsuitable for modern traffic levels and in 1938 the original bridge was dismantled, each stone carefully numbered, the central section was widened and the sides were rebuilt using the original stones and two new arches built on each end to give the bridge as it is seen today.

More about Fish Pond bridge >>