The church of St. Mary the Virgin is built of stone in the Gothic style. The western tower was built in the 12th century, with later addition of a beautiful spire. The tower contains 8 bells, two of which, together with a clock, were added in 1873 by Sir George Howland Beaumont, 9th baronet and other parishioners. The bells are still rung regularly. The stained glass of the west window in the tower was brought from Rouen, and presented by a former Sir George H. Beaumont. There are other windows dedicated to Mr. Merewether, Sir George H. Beaumont and to the Rev. Canon W. R. Beaumont, rector during 1864-1901.
There are many graves in the churchyard of both wealthy and poor of the parish. See Cemetery Audits with details of burials at St Mary's and also St Johns Chapel and Griffydam.
See also history of St Mary's Coleorton >> by Heritage Group member Elaine Oldham.
Contact details for the Church >> Details of services are on the News and Events page of the Coleorton parish website >>