The original Alms House was founded in 1702 following the establishment of a trust set up in the will of the third Viscount Beaumont. He also founded the Free School. The Old Hospital & Free School was built to accommodate six widows of the parish on the site near the junction of Remstone Road and Ashby Road.
In 1857 the current Almshouse building (pictured) was built close to the same site and a new school - The Viscount Beaumont's School - was built on the other side of the Ashby Road. Canon W. B. Beaumont was in charge of these renovations and building St John's Chapel around the same time.